Commissioners are unit, district and council leaders who help units succeed. A commissioner plays several roles, including friend, representative, “doctor,” teacher, and counselor. It is most important to be a friend, interested in the success of the unit and caring about each youth member’s Scouting experience.
The Boy Scouts of America has an abundance of manuals, guidebooks, pamphlets and training tools available to assist commissioners. The following resources might help in your volunteer role:
- NEW Unit Commissioners Flyer
- What is a Commissioner?
- National Council Commissioner Page
- Basic Commissioner Manuals
- Other Commissioner Resources
- “The Commissioner” Newsletter
- Commissioners at Philmont Training Center
- National Meeting Presentations
- Commissioner Worksheet (Pack)
- Commissioner Worksheet (Troop)